Frequently Asked Questions

Family Service of Greater New Orleans is a 501 c3 nonprofit, but it is often confused with state or federal agencies. Our organization primarily provides mental health counseling services.

Family Services is not the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services. If you are in need of any of the following services, please contact the agency noted:

Child Protection Investigation (CPI)
To report an incident of child abuse, call 1-888-524-3578

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
To ask questions about food stamps or a Louisiana Purchase Card, call 1-888-524-3578. To apply online for food assistance, visit

Child Care Assistance
If you need child care, call 1-888-524-3578 or apply online at

If you need government support due to economic hardship, call 1-888-524-3578

Child Support
If you need child support, call 1-888-524-3578 or visit

Social Security
If you are at least 62 years of age, you can apply for Social Security benefits. Call 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security Administration office at 400 Poydras Street, Suite 500

FAQ about Family Service of Greater New Orleans

What is counseling?

Counseling is a process that allows you to express your feelings.

Do you provide medication for depression?

No. Only a medical doctor or a psychiatrist can prescribe medication.

I don’t have insurance. Where can I get medication for depression?

Metropolitan Human Services District (MDSD) has several clinics in the city. Call 504-599-0245 to get assistance at the nearest location.

How long will it take before I can see a counselor?

Waiting time can vary from one week to two months, depending on the office due to staffing levels.

Can I get a referral for Family Service?

A referral is typically not necessary to receive services. However, there are some circumstances in which a referral may be necessary to get the treatment paid for by a third party. If you are unsure about your specific circumstances, feel free to call 504-822-0800.

Is there a fee for services?

Services are provided on a sliding scale based on income. In addition, a $35 registration fee is charged.

Are there free services?

There are several free programs, but you must first qualify.

As a victim of domestic violence, can I get free services?

The Victims of Crimes Act (VOCA) provides free services as part of a grant.

Can my child receive free services?

Children are able to receive up to 12 free counseling sessions paid for by foundation support.

Can I use Medicaid to get counseling services?

Family Service now accepts Medicaid and is a Medicaid Application Center.

The court referred me, what sessions do you offer?

Domestic Violence Group Sessions - $35 registration + $25 per session
(26 weeks)

Diversion Group Sessions - $35 registration + $25 per session
(12 weeks)

Anger Management Group Sessions - $35 registration + $25 per session
(12 weeks)